WHAT IT IS
- Experts believes there are 11 million unauthorized immigrants in the U.S.
- President Trump claimed there are two to three million immigrants with criminal records (this number is highly contested) and vowed to deport or incarcerate all of them.
- President Trump has begun implementing a series of new immigrant policies.
WHY IT MATTERS
Both deportation and incarceration cost a lot of money — money that could be spent on things like public schools and healthcare.
WHERE WE ARE NOW
- Trump has signed executive orders that allow the Department of Homeland Security to more aggressively deport illegal immigrants.
- Immigrants are foregoing food stamps for fear of deportation.
THINGS TO THINK ABOUT
- Obama deported 5.3 million people during his presidency— If the Trump administration only deported or detained criminal illegal immigrants, it would actually be more lenient than the Obama administration.
- The reality of illegal immigration in the U.S.
- Undocumented immigrant or illegal alien? The distinction matters.