WHAT IT IS
- Jobs across the spectrum are increasingly being replaced by robots.
- By 2030, 38 percent of the jobs in the U.S. could be lost to artificial intelligence (A.I.).
- Certain jobs are more at risk than others, sparking conversations around the question: Is your job “robot-proof”?
WHY IT MATTERS
While globalization has been made the scapegoat for loss of jobs over the past decade (as President Trump proposed) the real culprit may be technology. A.I. is changing the workplace and the skills demanded and it will undoubtedly impact the economy. Besides being a threat to existing jobs, the increase use of A.I. could also widen the income gap.
WHERE WE ARE NOW
- Manufacturing companies in North America are buying more industrial robots than ever before.
- Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin said it would be 50 to 100 more years before A.I. would replace jobs.
- Before then, there could be driverless trucks, battery-powered ships, and apple-picking robots.
THINGS TO THINK ABOUT
- Check out the podcast series on robot-proof jobs.
- How to prepare for the future.
- What would and could humans do instead of “work”?