WHAT IT IS
- Losing weight results from burning more calories than you consume. There is debate swirling around what is most effective for losing weight: diet or exercise?
- Body Mass Index (BMI) uses weight and height to assess body fat. One is obese when their body weight is 20% higher than it should be.
- Obesity can result from bad food habits, lack of exercise, genetics, stress and more.
WHY IT MATTERS
At least 20% of residents in each U.S. state are obese, affecting one in five children aged 6-19. Obesity leads to heart problems, diabetes, and other medical issues, and causes over 18% of American adult deaths. So, what is most effective for combating this epidemic?
WHERE WE ARE NOW
- Popular treatment for obesity includes lifestyle changes, dietary pills, and surgery.
- Health care is most expensive for those covering obesity.
- Those who are obese face weight stigma and higher costs to be healthy.
THINGS TO THINK ABOUT
- How does social media play a role in weight stigma?
- Is obesity a pre-existing condition in some cases, such as genetic inheritance, but not others?
- Do we blame those who are obese for becoming obese?