WHAT IT IS
- Meditation is a mindfulness practice engaging both the mind and the body.
- It is often used as a natural treatment for a variety of illnesses and conditions.
- Meditation can improve overall health, well-being, and awareness of one’s self.
WHY IT MATTERS
Meditation has been proven to have physical effects on the brain including increased gray matter in the frontal cortex and reduction of the amygdala. Mental health can also be improved by a mindfulness meditation practice. Dialectical Behavior Therapy paired with meditation has been shown as a viable treatment for a variety of disorders such as anxiety, addiction, insomnia, chronic pain, depression, and hypertension.
WHERE WE ARE NOW
- A recent study at Brown University shows that women benefit more from mindfulness-based meditation than their male counterparts. This may be due to to the differences in how genders use coping styles.
- Mindful eating has been seen to help overweight and obese individuals lose weight.
THINGS TO THINK ABOUT
- Check out apps that can be used to meditate on the go.
- Click for a guide to meditations based on the situation.
- How can you best incorporate meditation into your lifestyle?