WHAT IT IS
- Vegetarianism is a diet where one does not eat meat, including fish.
- Veganism is a lifestyle in which one does not eat food with any animal byproducts, including eggs, dairy, and chicken broth. This can also include cutting out non-food products, such as make-up that tests on animals.
- The plant-based versus meat-based diet debate is a constant topic in the health and wellness space.
WHY IT MATTERS
There are many public opinions on what is healthy for the body. Choosing a diet and lifestyle has short and long term effects, therefore, this choice can be highly consequential. While there are many clear benefits to a plant-based diet, there are hidden negative consequences as well.
WHERE WE ARE NOW
- PETA has many guides to shopping a vegan and vegetarian lifestyle for houses of all incomes.
- Intensive farming is causing more harm to the environment than food it provides.
- A vegan or vegetarian diet can affect each person’s health differently and may impact some medical conditions, such as osteoporosis.
THINGS TO THINK ABOUT
- How will the debates on diets change as the population grows?
- Do animals we eat deserve the same treatment as our pets?
- What would it take for you to chose a plant-based diet?